Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Welcome Letters: Daily Life


The following excerpts are from Volunteers who currently serve or recently served in Malawi.

"In no time you'll be able to use a chimbudzi (pit latrine) with the most accurate aim, master the art of bucket-bathing, and prepare your favorite American dish over a three-stone fire." - Jake Farnum

"I remember hearing this and not believing it, but it's true: You don't need to pack a lot of clothes.  You can always get things here (especially if you love the adventure of open-air thift shopping).  Also pack tons of underwear, a swimsuit, and that one outfit that makes you feel 100 percent cozy and 100 percent you."   - Patricia Wundrow

        "The intensity that I experience here on a daily basis is much stronger than anything I could have imagined nine months ago, when I too held a Peace Corps manual in my hands and tried, somehow, to prepare.  But there is a lighthearted side to all of this, also.
        Malawians, as a whole, are very friendly, happy people.  We are always laughing - at and with each other.  Everything that I say is listened to and everything I do is observed.  Everything.  This is part of being a Volunteer in Malawi.  Just as I laugh out loud when I pass a muscular young man wearing a frilly pink T-shirt that says 'Mom to be,' I hear people laughing at me.  What am I wearing or doing that seems so humerous to these people?  Have I become such an odd creature overnight?  No.  I am just a person from another country that is very, very foreign to my new friends and neighbors.  When we discuss 'America' they shake their heads and say: 'Ah, it is a very strange place, madam!'" - Debbie Gordon

"Your life will probably be much more relaxed now.  My days revolve around clean laundry and going to buy vegetables.  Life is calm and happy in Malawi." - Naomi Bremer

"The people in my community have been my family; we have laughed together and we have cried together.  The chiefs and the villagers around Vwaza have been my friends; we have planted maize together, harvested termites and caterpillars together (and then we ate them), and searched for shooting stars together.  And the children are my entertainment; some of my best memories are sitting on the stoop outside my hut chatting with 'my Kazuni kids' under a full moon."  - Stephanie Jayne

No comments:

Post a Comment